I walked by this Calendula plant in our herb garden at school and had to take a picture because it was on MONSTER MODE!!! It was so vibrant and full, almost as if it was saying “you know you wanna come see me”…and I did lol (and I took some home)!!! Here are some quick medicinal uses of calendula:
• Calendula is one of the best herbs for treating local skin problems, because it speeds healing time
• It can be used safely wherever there is skin inflammation due to infection, so it is ideal for first aid treatment of minor cuts, burns and scalds. It will also be of benefit in slow-healing wounds and skin ulcers.—it is also great to apply over exposed, dry, or chaffed skin and lips!!!
• For use locally it may be put in with a lotion, a poultice or fomentation
• Internally, Calendula is a valuable herb for digestive inflammation and healing
• Calendula is a mild, stimulating and diffuse lymphagogue (especially in the pelvis and breasts), so It can enhance the drainage of large and inflamed lymph nodes.
• Calendula is also a great source of the antioxidant rutin which protects and nourishes the eyes (this is what makes it yellow).
• You can enjoy a refreshing calendula enhanced tea by using 1tsp-1TBS dried calendula, ½ tsp lavender and ½ tsp lemon balm in 8oz of hot (not boiling) water and steep for at least 10-15mins (or until its cool enough to drink). You can add any natural sweetener you like to taste if you wish (but I like mine au natural).
• Also note that if you have a strong allergy to any Asteraceae plants i.e. daisies, dandelions etc. calendula can aggravate this allergy when used on the skin. The most common sign of this allergy is an itchy eczema-like rash that will go away with discontinued use of the herb.
Alright family, I wish you all happy healing!
Love, Light, and Liberation,
Dr. Afivi Adiro is a Naturopathic physician specializing in diet, nutrition and botanical medicine. With diet being especially foundational to Dr. Adiro, she believes if the diet is not in order and supportive to the body then most other therapies that are tried will not work towards healing.